Thursday, March 13, 2008

North Slope trip

Got the opportunity to head up north to Prudhoe Bay this week. While it's still very much winter there, it was beautiful weather, and I had a great trip. These are pics from my phone camera, so the quality is not so great, but it still made some pretty decent pics...





This is the STP (Seawater Treatment Plant) facility. It's awesome. It's a big barge that was shipped over from Korea, and then sunk on the coast of the artic ocean. It's enormous - as you can see by the ladder there. The bottom of the ladder has a big cage around it - to prevent polar bears from getting in there.


Sunset from the BOC (Base Operations Camp) - on the west side of the field. This is taken through a window, so it's a bit fuzzy...

The Artic Ocean... really. it's just covered with snow, so it looks like just another flat snow field...



Sun rise from the East side of operations. Everyone just leaves their trucks running all the time...

View from STP back towards the West Dock - where apparently, there is lots of activity in the summer months...

4 comments:

Adam and Natalie said...

Wow that's so awesome! I would love to go up there sometime. I want to see a polar bear.

Phil, Gretch, and Finn said...

I like the picture of the Arctic Ocean/snowfield. Pretty cool!

Bridgette said...

i always pictured the north slope being on an actual incline....I know, I'm a nerd.. cool pics!:)

Kale Family News said...

Dori,

Great pictures. I have never been to the North Slope but would love to go sometime. Your pictures don't seem fuzzy to me. Kathe