Thursday, November 20, 2008

Doggie Stories

Surfing the web today I came across several blogs detailing the exploits of pet scotties, and I had to laugh. There is definitely something "special" about scottish terriers. And by special, yes, I mean "special". In fact, one of Guinness' nick names is short bus... Chris and I are always entertained by Guinness' antics, and I in the spirit of the fun blogs I found today, I thought I would share some of my favorite stories...




Guinness and the Moose...

For all of his life, Guinness has hated moose. When they come near our yard, he sounds the alarm, running his route along the fence barking frantically and trying to scare them away. He has even barked at moose statues in much the same manner - not able to tell the difference. But up until recently, he was never face to face with a live moose. On a recent trip to Costco, I headed out to the garage, with Guinnes (not on a leash, cause we're just hopping in the car). I hit the button to open the garage door, and come around to let Guinness in the car. But as soon as the garage door was open a bout a foot and a half he was gone. What I was not aware of was that there were not one, but two young moose hanging out in the street near our house. But Guinness knew. I had to wait for the garage door to finish opening before I could run after him, but as it did the picture before me would have been funny if I hadn't been so frantic. Here is this tiny little black dog CHASING a moose up the street, nipping at its heels. The moose didn't know what to make of this little thing biting at it, and fortunately just decided to run. I went running down the driveway yelling for Guinnes to come - even though I had little hope of his actually obeying... But - miracle of miracles, as the moose when running by me, Guinness actually did stop and came to me! The moose kept going, and I caught my pups and man-handled him in to the car. I guess God knew I didn't want to visit the pet ER that day...


Favorite Toys
Like many dogs, Guinness' favorite toys all make noise (or have a treat inside...) and like most dogs, his main purpose in chewing on any toy is the find the source of the noise and destroy it. Recently, he received a laughing dracula toy from a friend, which he loved. I cannot tell you how that silly dracula laugh sound gets stuck in my head. I'll be folding laundry, making dinner, whatever and out of the blue, "whah, hah, hah, hah...." and it's over and over and over... I think I understand why parents don't appreciate noise making toys for children...

Puppy-tude

Guinness has attitude. Or pupi-tude as I like to call it. I've never met a dog that can stare you down the way he can. Those little brown eyes speak volumes. While cute and cuddly when you have food he would like to sample, the minute you try to pick him up or cuddle him you get "the look" and the head turn. As a little gentlemen he finds it's extremely offensive to be scooped up into someones arms and held. That is for children, and he is a little man! He will crane his neck as far away from you as he can while you hold him, and look to other people for help. And the second you let him go, he's gone...

Going for a Ride

Like most dogs Guinness loves to ride in the car (although he prefers Chris' truck - more roomy) but he also likes to go for rides on your back. I really have no idea how he learned to do this, but he's done it since he was a pup. And he especially likes to do it to Bernie... go figure. If you are laying on the ground, on your stomach, watching tv, surfing on the laptop, whatever, Guinness will hop on your back and stand there. He then fully expects you to take him for a "ride" around the room. You crawl around on all fours and he stands at attention on your back steering the ship, in his mind. I'm sure the dog whisperer would tell me that it's bad behavior because he's trying to dominate, but it is pretty awesome to watch.

Ok, that's enough stories for now. Hope you enjoy the antics of our scottie!

3 comments:

Bridgette said...

Hilarious about the piggy-back. Or should I say doggy-back?

Unknown said...

Good ole Guinness AKA "G" AKA "G-UNIT" AKA "Genius" AKA "Lil' Blackie" AKA "Shortbus" AKA "Bud" AKA "Puppa Bastard" AKA "Guin" AKA "Guin-Ass" AKA "Heineken" AKA "Angus"

...man he has a lot of nicknames. I won't comment on some of the nicknames my Dad has for him (although those are the funniest)

Guinness has a very good memory and holds a grudge. If you are on his good list, he'll remember and love you forever. If you have ever wronged him, he'll always be stand-offish towards you.

Anonymous said...

Okay girlfriend, that was a fun post but let's update the blog now. After all, I look forward to your updates.